It occurred to me the other day while working on some niggly engine bits, that Pearl was still running the factory dump pipe – it was obvious by build up of rust around the heat shield. The damn thing was holding back some of my precious kW’s!
So a few days and $109 later, I was holding a shiny 3” gktech Stainless steel dump pipe in my eager hands. Why did I go with gktech? Well I bought a front mount intercooler kit off them a while back for my GC8 WRX which was well made and a perfect fit so I had no reservations about buying from them again. They only make them with the bellmouth which was perfectly fine, I didn’t have a splitted front pipe for that kind of setup and had no desire for a screamer pipe.
The dump pipe came with both required gaskets, bolts and 02 sensor adaptor… now I just needed to get the bugger in!
Technical Difficulty Level: Medium
Profanity Level: Medium
1. Remove heatshield off turbo (10mm bolts)
2. Remove heatshield off factory dump pipe (10mm bolts)
3. Unbolt front pipe from catalytic convertor, 2 bolts. (17mm bolts)
4. Remove 02 sensor
5. Unbolt 3 bolts from dump to front pipe. (14mm nuts)
6. Unbolt 5 bolts on the turbo housing which attaches the dump. (12mm bolts/nuts)
7. Use the new gaskets supplied and bolt up dump to turbo housing.
8. Plug in 02 sensor.
9. Lift up front pipe from underneath and bolt up to dump’s 3 bolts, may want to bolt the 2 cat bolts to help hold it up as it gets tiring.
10. Put turbo heatshield back on only (dump pipe shield does not fit)
11. Enjoy more power.
I didn’t expect too much real-world power difference with the new dump installed, but the grin on my face told a whole different story. The little T28 now spooled up harder above 2000rpm to the dismay of my Falkens and the mid-range response now had a massive punch. Although the top end stayed the same, getting to the redline was now much more viscous and blurry. Bring on more power!!!
EDIT 02/04/2013: After a few months I ended up having an exhaust leak as the dump pipe didn’t sit flush against the top of the compressor housing. The existing top bolt was wound as tight as possible but there was still a slight gap. Solution was to use a R33 dump pipe bolt (like this) which was threaded all the way to the top, worked a treat and no more gap!